The building was originally a simple brick structure built sometime between 1800 and 1814. This building stands upon land conveyed by Ludwig Derr to Carl Ellenkhuysen, then to Richard and James Potter, than to James Gibson who in 1814 conveyed the same to Robert and Mary Griffith. Subsequent owners were William Hayes, John A. Reed, John Machemer, William and Ann Wilson, Abbott Green, and Ellen A. Guyer – Greens’s daughters, Sarah Lightner, and Rebecca Nesbit, the latter’s daughter. It was Rebecca and her husband Joseph Nesbit who converted the brick structure into a fashionable brownstone mansion unique in design with a touch of Roman architecture, which they sold in 1911 to the Lewisburg Club for its activities.
The only building in Lewisburg built of Brownstone. This historic building is a landmark in this local community located within two blocks of the west branch of the Susquehanna River.
In 1906 the Lewisburg Club was organized and recognized as the focal point for the three service clubs – Kiwanis, Lions and Rotary. On June 19, 1908 the Lewisburg Club was officially incorporated under the name of The Lewisburg Club, Inc. In 1911 The Lewisburg Club was able to purchase the building located at 131 Market Street, Lewisburg, Pa. for $6,000 and this facility became the home for the service clubs and community activities. In 1949 there was an extensive fire in the dining area which was rebuilt with materials and a style that was popular at that time. The dining area is of the same style today.
Daniel F. Green, president of Lewisburg Trust and Safe Deposit, and a long time member of Kiwanis, passed away in 1954 leaving a trust that is shared by Evangelical Hospital, Lewisburg Borough and the Lewisburg Club. In 2001 the trust was divided equally amongst these three entities to better enable their separate investment strategies.
Paul E. Crow, local magistrate and dedicated Lion member passed away in the mid nineties. His family formed the Paul and Geneva Crow charitable lead trust . It is through this trust that the major renovations have been accomplished. Their generous donations have been instrumental in renovating the front entrance, the downstairs hallway, civic meeting room and many other areas of the facility.